Being ill is never easy, and we look to medical professionals to help us find our way back towards renewed health. The first step on the path toward recovery is proper diagnosis. If you aren’t diagnosed properly in the first place, you can’t receive the care you need to overcome the ailment from which you are actually suffering. In fact, misdiagnosis can halt proper treatment in its tracks. If medical misdiagnosis leaves you harmed, consult with an experienced Las Vegas Nevada Medical Malpractice attorney today.
The Most Common Errors in Diagnosis
Errors in medical diagnosis can have devastating effects, especially two of the most commonly misdiagnosed conditions are heart attacks and cancer. Some additional diagnosis errors that are common include:
- Stroke – A stroke is obviously a serious health event that can have dire consequences. If a stroke isn’t accurately diagnosed quickly, the opportunity to begin life-saving time-sensitive treatment can be lost. Common misdiagnoses include migraines and seizures.
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome – Irritable bowel syndrome is a painful condition that typically requires the specialized care of a gastroenterologist. When misdiagnosed, it’s difficult for the sufferer to obtain the necessary medical care. Common misdiagnoses can include dietary deficiencies, drug toxicity, endometriosis, and more.
- Lupus – Lupus and rheumatoid arthritis are both systemic autoimmune diseases that are often mistaken for one another. While both lead to inflammation and tissue damage, the treatment protocols are distinct, and accurate and early diagnosis is critical.
- Lyme Disease – Lyme disease is the most common vector-borne disease in the nation – caused by a tick bite – and because its symptoms are often non-specific and vary according to the stage of the illness, it is often misdiagnosed. Without the tell-tale bull’s eye rash, which is by no means a given, medical professionals can be slow to diagnose. Further, the presentation of non-specific symptoms such as extreme fatigue leads many physicians to erroneously call for antibody testing, which often yields false positives and unnecessary medical treatment.
- Multiple Sclerosis – Multiple sclerosis is a serious disease that requires neurological care, but misdiagnosis is common. Conditions such as migraines, fibromyalgia, and other neurological disorders can mimic multiple sclerosis, and the effects of a misdiagnosis of MS can be especially harmful.
- Depression – Depression is a serious mental illness that can be life-threatening in some situations if left untreated. The symptoms of depression are often so vague, however, that they can mimic many other diseases. These symptoms can include chronic fatigue, irritability, insomnia, problems with concentration, and more.
If You’re the Victim of Medical Misdiagnosis, You Need an Experienced Las Vegas Medical Malpractice Attorney on Your Side
Your optimal recovery begins with an accurate diagnosis, and any misdiagnosis can seriously compound your health concerns and derail your recovery. The experienced medical malpractice attorneys at Breeden Malpractice and Injury Law in Las Vegas Nevada are committed to aggressively advocating for your case’s best possible resolution. Your recovery is far too important to leave to chance, and our dedicated legal team is on your side. To Schedule a free consultation, please don’t hesitate to contact or call us at (702) 819-7770 today.